The District of Flehingen


778/779
- Flehingen was mentioned in documents for the first time in the Lorsch Codex. At this point, the places were not called Flehingen and Sickingen. Rather, they were known as Flancheim or Flanicheim and Sickincheim.

1158 - Berthold The Oldest of Sickingen established his line from Flehingen.

Sickingen belonged, as did Flehingen, initially to Strahlenberg, a rich noble dynasty near Schriesheim an der Bergstraße, north of Heidelberg.

1368 - The castle and village of Sickingen passed to Electoral Palatinate.

In the same year, Ludwig Wolff of Flehingen built the Flehingen Castle. 

1353 - Flehingen and Sickingen meet the same fate: in the Speyer Feud, both castles were burnt to ashes by the Speyer people.

1622 - Both communities were plundered by Tilly's troops and set on fire. In Flehingen, 170 buildings were reduced to soot and ashes. In Sickingen, the fire did not have such devastating consequences.


From the 1520s, Flehingen and Sickingen become Protestant under Erpf‚ Ulrich and his brother Ulrich Wolff. It is assumed that the Sickingen burial site and church of St. Magdalene, built in 1523, initially served as a Protestant church. Flehingen remained Protestant in all likelihood until the entry of Catholic Wolff Metternich in 1637. In 1690, the first Catholic church service is held since the reform.

In 1666, "Red Dysentery", also known as Black Death, spread mercilessly through Flehingen and Sickingen. 

1766 - The people's poet and village school master Samuel-Friedrich-Sauter is born.

1768 - Flehingen already has more than 100 firemen. Among the important "objects of equipment" are the extinguishing buckets stored in the town hall, as well as the saddle horses for the four horse-back firemen, who had the task of calling for help from the neighbouring fire services in the case of large fires. 

1876 - The community acquires the castle, forest and land of the rulers of Metternich.

On 1st April 1936, Flehingen and Sickingen are forced to become one community by the NSDAP. Neither the Sickingen people nor those of Flehingen wanted this annexation. It was a huge shock for the Sickingen people when they discovered that they must give up their name.

In the same year, the district office of Bretten is disbanded and Flehingen becomes part of the district of Karlsruhe.

With the district reform of 1973, the independent community of Flehingen merged with Oberderdingen.